27 mai 2010

why they invented mothers!


8 words for success/ Richard St. John


(partial transcript by me)


1. Passion
"I am driven by my passion." Freeman Thomas/car designer Daimler Chrysler. Do it for love, not for money (if you do it for love, the money comes anyway)
2. Work"It’s all hard work. Nothing comes easily. But I have a lot of fun." Rupert Murdoch
3. Good"To be successful put your nose down in something and get damn good at it" Alex Garden, game developer. There is no magic – is practice, practice, practice.
4. Focus"I think it all has to do with focusing yourself to one thing" Norman Jewison, filmmaker
5. Push
"Push yourself. Physically, mentally, you gotta push, push, push."David Gallo, marine scientist. Shyness (sic!) self-doubt - "I always had self-doubts. I wasn’t good enough, wasn’t smart enough. I didn’t think I’d make it", Goldie Hawn, actress.
It’s not always easy to push yourself – that’s why they invented mothers! - ”My mother pushed me" - Frank Gehry, architect
6. Serve
"It was a privilege to serve as a doctor" Sherwin Nuland, professor of surgery, Yale.Millionaires serve others something of value
7. Ideas"I had an idea – founding the first micro-computer software company..", Bill Gates, software guy. There is no magic to came up with ideas - is: LISTEN * OBSERVE * BE CURIOUS * ASK QUESTIONS * PROBLEM SOLVE * MAKE CONNECTIONS
8. Persist
"Persistence is the number one reason for our success", Joe Kraus, co-founder, Excite
Persist to failure and to CRAP (Criticism, Rejection, Assholes, Pressure :))