15 feb. 2015

100% to be keen


''The work of this mysterious and incredibly talented woman..''
Quite extraordinar, indeed.

Well, modern times, eh: too busy to make our who-I-am self known by others (yea, well - "significant others", to name markets in a fancy way), we have less and less time to actually be who-I-am.

Vivian Maier had.
image from: http://www.webburgr.com/vivian_maier/

Woody Allen is often quote with: "Success is 80% show up". The saying is almost always referred to as a highlight of showing.. off. But to be seen is nothing without to be keen* to acknowledge and fulfill your potential - what you can really do. Allen targets the to do the work you claim you can, not to do the claiming about it.

Here is the context of his statement:
"My observation was that once a person actually completed a play or a novel, he was well on his way to getting it produced or published, as opposed to a vast majority of people who tell me their ambition is to write, but who strike out on the very first level and indeed never write the play or book. In the midst of the conversation, as I’m now trying to recall, I did say that 80 percent of success is showing up." - 1989 August 13, New York Times, On Language: The Elysian Fields by William Safire. From wikiquote.

* showing a quick and ardent responsiveness : enthusiastic.

And I would say, curiosity is a valuable tool also.